Sunday 28 November 2010

Propulsion compulsion

Yes, it might seem I've suddenly veered off course, but as much as I love aircraft projects, I do harbour a love of all seagoing craft and armour, too. Recently I was thumbing through the new Airfix Model World magazine and there it was. The U-boat Type XXVIIB Seehund - an ICM minisub. It called out to me from the page - 'build me!' So imagine my surprise when my wife gave it to me as an early Christmas present. I must have been even louder in my enthusiasms than I thought.


When I was ten, I was given a small, tin-plate, clockwork midget submarine for my birthday. It was fitted with a downward angled bow plane. As it entered the water, it went straight down to the bottom, then promptly returned to the surface. It did this till the spring ran out and then you wound it up again. It made my birthday. I think fifty years on, it's partly this nostalgia that gives the ICM kit such appeal.
(Picture courtesy Vectis.co.uk)


I made a start last night. The parts are nicely rendered, especially the hull. It's only small, being 1/72 but so appealing.


If you want to see more, stay tuned. If subs are not your thing, the next aircraft project is right round the corner. More later.

No comments: