Thursday 2 December 2010

Subversive!



My last blog saw me talking about ICM's new midget submarine. There has been progress - I'm feeling very pleased with myself as I've finished this cheeky little project in super-quick time and I'm delighted with the results.


The parts went together very well and after 5 0r 6 hours hard building it was constructed. Undercoat was followed naturally enough by overcoat. Weathering consisted of increasingly lighter shades in a cloud pattern. I post-shaded in a black grey and then subtly re-did the panels in a pale grey. I applied a protective gloss glaze and the next day I put on a brown-black wash.

The decals went down really well - there are only a few of them, but they really make a difference. I sealed everything with a matt varnish and carefully dry-brushed the raised detail, of which there is plenty. The torpedoes don't have a lot of detail though, so I did what I could with them and attached them to the brackets.


This was a lovely little project that slotted in nicely between bigger jobs, and gave me a lot of pleasure. Time now to get back to more serious work, after this very enjoyable bit of fun.

To show just how midget this sub is, I've photographed it on top of my 1/72 scale 'Gato' class US ocean-going sub. They're both in the same scale....

No comments: