Sunday 14 April 2013

The Beast is Back

A couple of years ago Academy issued their 1/72 SB2C, a superb kit.  More recently another Helldiver appeared, this time from Cybermodel.  Not cheap but another excellent kit.

But What of Revell's effort that was issued way back in 1997?  Three guesses what I found in my stash.  When I was asked about a Helldiver as a build, I remembered I had one somewhere.  I had forgotten just how good it was - subtly rendered panel and rivet detail, lovely detail in both crew positions, and open bomb bay, engine and landing gear. There is even a set of brass etched parts - the brass dive brakes are beautiful.  I felt I should  make the most of this bounty, so I added an Eduard colour etch set, a set of brake pipes, engine wiring and a full rivet job.  It was an intensive build but it was great fun.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In one word, WOW! This is beautiful, Phil!

Philip Goodier said...

Thanks Ajay. I'm working with a new camera and background. I really enjoyed this build. For me, most of the pleasure is in the painting.

FalkeEins said...

superb! ..I picked up the Cybermodeler kit reasonably cheaply on Ebay recently - I wasn't aware that Revell's example could look as good as this..