Saturday 28 May 2011

The Emperor's New Clothes?


The last couple of months have seen Tamiya's 1/32 Spitfire coming to life on my workbench, thorugh intensive stages of construction and paintwork.

This kit has been hailed as the superlative Spitfire build. Such hyperbole merits further examination, I think, and a realistic response. It's certainly an accurate kit, which is really important to me as a kit basher. Parts fit is maybe eight out of ten - everything fits perfectly till you get to the fuselage, and then things start to come apart a little. For example, the wings have fillets, or inserts, that allow Tamiya to offer different marks. These inserts have to fit precisely - and they don't. You need to be particularly careful when you come to build and fit the wings - test fitting comes in to its own here. Engine installation is equally uncharitable; bulkhead, engine bearers, hoses and engine itself need to be fitted in the exact spot or the covers won't fit. There's no margin for error.

I've always been a big exponent of Tamiya. I think their kits live up to their hype, which doesn't go for every manufacturer. They break new ground with almost every release. However, this is not a £20 kit, it's a big serious high-end bit of tackle, and as such you want a kit that offers the builder some respect. The Spitfire is good, but it's not that good. I would say it is over engineered, and leaves the builder a lot of unnecessary work. Nevertheless I enjoyed building it, and given my time over would cheerfully build it again. Just don't believe the hype....


No comments: