Saturday 1 May 2010

Taken at the flood......

Up until quite recently, most of my building would be a matter of choice. I would usually build out of the box, and finish around 50 models a year. Now and then I would do a commission piece, and it felt like a novelty, building to someone else's specifications.

Last year however, all that started to change. My personal work (most of which was then sold on eBay and elsewhere) was almost entirely taken over by an influx of new clients with very particular builds and highly personalised ideas of what they wanted to see in a finished model. I'm always happy to have the work, but it took a little while to get used to the idea that for the foreseeable future, I would be constructing kits to suit the tastes of others. But then I began to see how these new builds were more demanding; I had to stretch my myself, learn new skills and widen my mind as to what was out there and how it could look through the eyes of another. Now, when I do get to please myself, I can see at once how my work has improved. This year has been my busiest to date, and the variety of work offered to me has been greater than ever. I'm pleased and grateful.

Here are some pictures of the just completed Shitei III Kai, the anti-bomber version of the 'Dinah', which I squeezed in between commissions. What do you think?

No comments: