Monday 10 May 2010

How does your workbench grow?

Actually, very well since I run two benches. On bench No. 1 there is the Grumman Goose. This is the Signifer kit in 1/48 scale. I've posted a few photos below to show its progress over the last few weeks. Some highlight the difficulty involved in the build; I don't think I've ever seen so much resin in one kit. In fact, the only plastic parts are the wings and the fuselage. Most of the tail, ailerons, landing gear and interior are resin cast. As you can imagine, this adds a lot of extra weight to the model. I was a bit concerned that the resin gear struts would crack up under the strain, but then I noticed that the main struts are cast with a wire core - likewise the vulnerable floats. The quality of the tooling must ensure a detailed and interesting model. There'll be more on this unusual subject a little later.


Bench No. 2 is currently graced by Tamiya's veteran Lancaster in 1/48 scale, waiting for the addition of Eduard's Big Ed detail set. Although this is a time-consuming job, it does offer suitable rewards. Check out the photos.



The interior is as complete as it can be before I paint it. More on this later.
Back to the benches.

No comments: