Saturday 3 January 2009

'Free Time' with the Big Sub

With the gorging season now behind us, I like to think of this time of year as 'free time'. With the shops open and the sales in full swing, the rest of the country seems to be on some kind of 'buyfest'.

Fortunately, I am not one who is mesmerised by the need to shop. Only the need to build. So I hope that I, and some people like me, will find some solace and even escape in these articles.

The photos here are proof of my absence from the sales. I've pulled the Revell 'Gato' Class sub out of the mothballs and had a very merry Christmas tinkering it all together. I had made a start a while ago, but abandoned it briefly due to pressure of work. I've made a lot of progress over the last few days. The parts are a bit rough around the edges but do go together quite well. The detail is lovely and will paint up impressively. The only thing to watch out for is prioritising parts to stick and parts not to stick, so that painting progresses in the right order.


The last photo also shows two aircraft models, in 1/72 scale; a Douglas DC-3 and a Russian I-185 fighter (thanks Graham). I think this shot brings home the sheer size and scale of this ocean-going wartime sub.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy and prosperous new year. Hopefully a fresh start and the promise of good things to come.

No comments: