Wednesday 28 January 2009

Completing the 'Dinah'

The next stage in the completion of the 'Dinah':

With sun bleached panels added, I moved on to the exhaust stains and sooty deposits. I streaked these along the wings and engine nacelles. This instantly gives the plane a well-traveled look. So, going the whole hog, I lightened each area behind panel lines and wing leading edges.



The result of all this work makes the model look a bit too bold. As we'll see later, this will work out. An even coat of gloss varnish later and the decals can now be applied. Although Tamiya decals are of good quality, they are a bit on the thick side. This translates to either replacing them or getting out lots of decal setting solution and determination.


Several hours later, I realised that with only partial success with my Super Sol, determination had to take a different direction. A section coat of gloss allowed me to find the decal-hidden panel lines with my finger nails. No sniggering - they are perfectly valid tools, and they do the job.


The panel lines are now filled in and the model can all be matted down - a very important stage since all the various tones used are now drawn together. These shades are muted, toned down slightly, and the model looks properly in scale.


The model can now take its final additions - landing gear, engines, props and a host of minor parts. To finish, I dry brushed the ailerons, elevators and so on in a yellow-tan shade simulating the fabric covering and the stone chips, especially around the engine cowlings.

This is probably my fifth 'Dinah', and there's something iconic about it for me. It's an elegant aircraft, a beaut right out of the box. I hope you have enjoyed this build as much as I have.

No comments: