Thursday 14 February 2008

MPM's B-17 Nose Segment Part One



The sharp eyed modeller cannot have missed the recent release of MPM's unique kit - an entire nose section of the B-17F in 1/18 scale. And not just any B-17, but the Memphis Belle!

I am in the process of building this kit on behalf of a client, and I was very pleased to take it on. I had just added two new desk surfaces to my workroom, and I've needed both of them.... Once I'd had a look at it, I couldn't say no - it was rather like a map, there was no way of folding it back up the way it came! About two thirds of the kit is in resin. The transparencies are vac-formed and are doubled up in case of cock ups.


The choice of fitting individual windows or cutting off the entire roof section to fit a transparent area is offered.

There's a second bomb aimer's glazed nose section so that the builder can install two .50 caliber machine guns in the nose. The nose itself is made of fibreglass with a plastic coating. This makes for beautiful surface engravings. There are also pieces of shaped balsa which make up in to the bomb aimers's/navigator's chart table. There's a 'back door' too, that fits into the rear bulkhead.

No comments: