Sunday 27 January 2008

A Note on Weathering

When it comes to weathering, everyone has to find their own way, and find a procedure or a technique which gives them the results they want. I've tried and tested all manner of techniques over the years, and what I do depends on what I'm making, of course. I recently completed an 'Irving'. A single tone subject like this provides an ideal background for a really creative finish.




I usually use six to seven colours to weather a model. Organised randomness is the key to successful weathering and a convincing model, I feel. Photos of the real thing are essential for reference, but that's just the beginning. The finished piece has to look a little larger than life because it's so small. It needs a certain drama! You need to know where to begin, and crucially, where to stop.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Phil, Great F4F model... My father was a Wildcat Ace @ Midway & Guadalcanal. Considered building a model but thought better of it. Still have the complete detail kit for cockpit & guns, panels, etc + custom made squadron VF-3 insignia decals. If I sent you these + pictures of the actual warbird, what is the commission process?

JWL

Philip Goodier said...

Hi jwl,
Thanks for your kind remarks. I'd be happy to talk to you about your commission. Can you contact us through our eBay site? If you go onto Philmodel and contact us through the questions for seller, we'll be able to email you back.
Thanks
Phil