Wednesday 22 September 2010

Timeless TBM

A couple of months ago I was asked to build the rather lovely TBF-1c Avenger from Accurate Miniatures. For those of you who have built it before, you'll know what I mean by lovely - if you haven't, you need to find out! It is one of my favourite modelling subjects, just straight from the box.

The fuselage offers untold opportunities for greatness. It's in four stages: the engine compartment; the cockpit, electronics compartment and turret; then on the lower floor the bomb bay and the rear radio room and ventral gun position. All these have exquisite detail. The crowning glory to all this is not just the engraved panel detail or the satisfying shape and proportions, no. It's that the parts actually go together - well! In 2005 Italeri sold this kit in their box for wait for it, £12.99! I bought quite a few...It costs a bit more now but it's not extortionate (unlike a lot of other kit prices currently) and there is scope for a certain amount of conversion, so do your research.

To my build I added Moskit exhausts, resin weighted wheels and a resin pilot, and that was all.
Check out the photos to see what I mean.


I'd not long finished it when I was asked to build another one - this time the TBM-3 Avenger.
Ok then.

No comments: