Tuesday 29 April 2008

Self-Imposed Exile

There are periods where I get so engrossed in my work that no-one sees me in any other part of the house, just the work room. My wife begins to believe I am just a figment of her imagination.
When I emerge much later with more than just a five o'clock shadow, and only then because I've finished something, there is cheering on both sides. Me because I have finished something and my wife because she isn't really insane and I do actually exist.

The last round of seclusion was quite productive. First came the AFV Tiger in 1/48 scale. Then, the Classic Airframes SM.79, also in 1/48, and finally the B-17 nose section in 1/18th from MPM. Almost four months work.

The Tiger was a little gem. The first armoured vehicle I'd built in almost four years was a new release from AFV Club. It's beautifully detailed and includes the photo-etched mesh screens for the engine covers. The quality of the parts is second to none.


The SM.79 is not a kit for a novice. It does have lovely detail, especially the engines and cockpit, which are mostly resin with photo-etched parts. I brought all my experience to bear building this, but the results of your labours are so worthwhile with a kit like this.




The B-17 from MPM is a fibreglass nose carcass with a mostly cast resin interior and an assortment of photo-etched parts. Another project not to be entered into lightly! It was hard work every day for four months, but the completion of each module, especially the cockpit, brought its rewards. Positioning the interior was a job in itself. A very unusual and indeed educational subject!



3 comments:

tim thompson said...

hi could you post some pics of the navigator/ bombadier section. Im looking for all details I can find


thanks

FalkeEins said...

super work Phil!

Philip Goodier said...

Thanks for that. I'm taking a look through your work, very accomplished.

Best,
Phil